Well it’s not always sunny down in here in Florida. In fact this year we have been having an inordinate amount of rain. Last month we actually had 32 inches of rain in a two week period. Considering that’s more rain than we typically have total between August and December, it certainly caused some problems. A couple hundred houses were flooded and a couple thousand people were displaced. Fortunately, we’ve dried out over the last few weeks. Now I’m just waiting for the oppressive heat to subside and our lovely fall weather to kick in.
Today’s post is in response to Jason nominating Income Surfer for a Sunshine Blogger Award. I appreciate the nomination and will answer his questions below.
1. If I gave you $2 million dollars right now to invest, what would you do with it?
Well first off you would move to the top of my Christmas card list! A million bucks ain’t what it used to be, but I’m not complaining. In reality the first thing I would do is well……NOTHING. I would take a long weekend with my family and talk about our goals and objectives in life. The next item at the top of my list is to take an extended trip, so hopefully we would decide to move in that direction and begin trip preparations.
On the investing side, the answer isn’t so clear cut. First off I would write a check to the Taxman, because they get kinda prickly if you forget to pay. Then I would come up with a preferred asset allocation, and look to break the money into several bank accounts…….where it would sit until it could be invested. Components in that allocation include real estate, commodities, bonds and stocks. In my opinion, global stock and bond markets are overpriced……so I would look to minimize the impact of that overvaluation by consistently investing that money (in small increments) over the next 3 years.
2. You have the chance to travel back in time to re-live one day or event in your life – what will it be?
Awesome, so you’re giving me $2 million AND use of a time machine! I don’t know how I pick just one day to relive. Maybe I’d go back and enjoy one more day with my grandfather, pushing cattle in the Rockies……or one of those great camping trips with my father and grandfather. Or maybe a day with my mom, when she was still alive and healthy. I’m glad this is hypothetical, because I don’t think I could choose just one………
3.When you hit financial independence, you’ll be able to do whatever you want – but in the meantime, what does your perfect weekend look like?
My ideal weekend has several key elements. Time with my wife and son……physical exercise…..and quiet time to read and think. Maybe a trip to the beach or a park, with my wife and son. A great morning walk with our Lab, when the day is still new and temperature is cool. Scooping our son up from a nap in his crib. These are a few of my favorite things……
4. If you could be the best in the world at something, what would it be?
Wow, I’ve never thought about this one. It would be great, provided I am not famous. I have exactly zero interest in being famous or renowned. I think it would be an author.
5. If you were stuck on a deserted Island for the next year (somewhere far more desolate than the Islands of Investing!), what are the three things that would get you through?
Lets see. I would bring a hatchet, a tent, and a book…..likely the Bible.
So now it’s time to nominate two other members of this blogging community for this award. I nominate Roadmap2Retire and LongtermMindset. These are two great guys, whom I’ve been fortunate enough to befriend. Below are my questions for them.
1. Name the top three experiences from your past, that help form who you are today. 2. Where did you go on your last trip, and what was your favorite part of that trip? 3. Do you have a hobby or passion that balances your work life? If so, what is it? 4. What is the best book you’ve read in 2015? What did you like about it? 5. What is your favorite sport to watch? What is your favorite sport to play?
Early next week I’ll share a post about the stocks we’ve recently bought and the one we sold. I’m very excited by this market volatility, and hope it continues. Have a great week everybody, and happy hunting!