Sunny Florida

Well it’s not always sunny down in here in Florida.  In fact this year we have been having an inordinate amount of rain.  Last month we actually had 32 inches of rain in a two week period.  Considering that’s more rain than we typically have total between August and December, it certainly caused some problems.  A couple hundred houses were flooded and a couple thousand people were displaced.  Fortunately, we’ve dried out over the last few weeks.  Now I’m just waiting for the oppressive heat to subside and our lovely fall weather to kick in.

Today’s post is in response to Jason  nominating Income Surfer for a Sunshine Blogger Award.  I appreciate the nomination and will answer his questions below.

1. If I gave you $2 million dollars right now to invest, what would you do with it?

Well first off you would move to the top of my Christmas card list!  A million bucks ain’t what it used to be, but I’m not complaining.  In reality the first thing I would do is well……NOTHING.  I would take a long weekend with my family and talk about our goals and objectives in life.  The next item at the top of my list is to take an extended trip, so hopefully we would decide to move in that direction and begin trip preparations.

On the investing side, the answer isn’t so clear cut.  First off I would write a check to the Taxman, because they get kinda prickly if you forget to pay.  Then I would come up with a preferred asset allocation, and look to break the money into several bank accounts…….where it would sit until it could be invested.  Components in that allocation include real estate, commodities, bonds and stocks.  In my opinion, global stock and bond markets are overpriced……so I would look to minimize the impact of that overvaluation by consistently investing that money (in small increments) over the next 3 years.

2. You have the chance to travel back in time to re-live one day or event in your life – what will it be?

Awesome, so you’re giving me $2 million AND use of a time machine! I don’t know how I pick just one day to relive.  Maybe I’d go back and enjoy one more day with my grandfather, pushing cattle in the Rockies……or one of those great camping trips with my father and grandfather.  Or maybe a day with my mom, when she was still alive and healthy.  I’m glad this is hypothetical, because I don’t think I could choose just one………

3.When you hit financial independence, you’ll be able to do whatever you want – but in the meantime, what does your perfect weekend look like?

My ideal weekend has several key elements.  Time with my wife and son……physical exercise…..and quiet time to read and think.  Maybe a trip to the beach or a park, with my wife and son.  A great morning walk with our Lab, when the day is still new and temperature is cool.  Scooping our son up from a nap in his crib.  These are a few of my favorite things……

4.  If you could be the best in the world at something, what would it be?

Wow, I’ve never thought about this one.  It would be great, provided I am not famous.  I have exactly zero interest in being famous or renowned.  I think it would be an author.

5. If you were stuck on a deserted Island for the next year (somewhere far more desolate than the Islands of Investing!), what are the three things that would get you through?

Lets see.  I would bring a hatchet, a tent, and a book…..likely the Bible.

So now it’s time to nominate two other members of this blogging community for this award.  I  nominate Roadmap2Retire and LongtermMindset. These are two great guys, whom I’ve been fortunate enough to befriend.  Below are my questions for them.

1.  Name the top three experiences from your past, that help form who you are today.                 2. Where did you go on your last trip, and what was your favorite part of that trip?                       3. Do you have a hobby or passion that balances your work life? If so, what is it?                           4. What is the best book you’ve read in 2015? What did you like about it?                                         5. What is your favorite sport to watch? What is your favorite sport to play?

Early next week I’ll share a post about the stocks we’ve recently bought and the one we sold.  I’m very excited by this market volatility, and hope it continues.  Have a great week everybody, and happy hunting!

21 thoughts on “Sunny Florida

1. Dividend Hustler

Thanks for sharing this personal info Bryan. Most of the best times it seems are spent with your family. Family is definitely a “core holding” in our lives for sure. I know they keep us going and give us another reason to be financial independent. I know if I didn’t have my family, I wouldn’t want to live anymore. It’s that simple. I love my kids.
    Can’t wait to hear your posts about your purchases bud. Love this market. Let’s keep it up and hustle to greater heights!
    Cheers bud.

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for taking the time to read Hustler. I hope you’re having a great weekend. I definitely agree about family…..especially family I’ve lost. Losing my mother and grandfather helps remind me to keep my family close and cherish our time together. I have been truly blessed.

The various blog awards are kinda hokey, but I really like that they get us to share personal things outside of finance……which let us know each other a little better.
      -Bryan

1. Income Surfer Post author

Hi Brian. Heck yeah it is. The ground was so saturated that the hydrostatic pressure had groundwater bubbling up in low areas like driveway/sidewalk cracks. So much so, that the limerock road base in front of my house failed and the pavement collapsed. Good times :o/

I hope you have a great weekend. Enjoyed your weekly roundup.
      -Bryan

2. Roadmap2Retire

Thanks for the nomination, Bryan.
    Some really nice and thoughtful questions and answers giving us a bit of a perspective about your life shared with the readers. Really like DH’s comment above with family being a “core holding” :)

regards
    sabeel

1. Income Surfer Post author

Hi Sabeel. Thanks for reading and sharing your life with readers also. Our community is a pretty darn good one….and remarkably supportive. I smiled at Hustler’s comment also. Have a great week buddy.
      -Bryan

3. DividendsinHand

Really enjoyed reading your five answers. In particular, our ‘perfect weekends’ are very similar. Congratulations on your nomination and keep up the entertaining and informative posts.

1. Income Surfer Post author

Welcome DiH. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate the support and readership. Our “ideal weekends” are one thing, but how often they actually come to fruition is quite another :) I hope you have a great week.
      -Bryan

4. Mrs PoP

You guys did get some crazy rain! Luckily we were spared most of it – though we did have a weekend that was pretty darned saturated. I think we got about 9 inches that weekend, but then it moved on for the most part.
    My favorite part was seeing the popped pools. I don’t feel too bad for the one couple that decided the time to drain their pool to clean it was during a flood…. but the other one I saw in the news was still full of water when it popped. Crazy how high those water tables got!

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for stopping by Mrs PoP. I think we’re going to see you guys in Omaha next May. Looking forward to meeting Mr PoP. It was crazy to see all those pools pop out of the ground. The other problem we had up here, was septic tanks that collapsed. Lesson to all…..if your septic tank isn’t working because of high ground water, don’t pump it. Glad we have County sewer during all of that.

Have a great week!
      -Bryan

1. Mrs PoP

Oooh, I hadn’t heard of septic tanks collapsing. That sounds $hitty… =P

Yay for Omaha! We just booked our flights for that this week and are looking forward to it! We’ll have to have a meetup.

5. Dividend Diplomats

Great answers Income Surfer. Sadly, the tax man is the most important member of this list. You don’t want to piss him off, that battle is rarely won. If you did win it, chances are you would have spent the rest of your $2m in legal fees. I must say, I have never pushed cattle before but it sounds amazing. Did you grow up in the Rockies? It sounds like this was something special that you would do with your grandfather regularly. How could you not pick that moment. Great response.

It has been great having you in the community! Thanks for sharing your responses.

Bert, One of the Dividend Diplomats

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for dropping by Bert, and taking the time to comment. Glad you enjoyed the Q&A. No, I grew up in Florida…..but traveled extensively. My grandfather was a very good horseman, so many of his trips were on horseback. Once I was 12 or 13, I started going with him. The year he started getting sick we were to go to Ireland on horseback. It’s a great way to see a country, although is Peruvian trip sounded pretty tough.

Thanks for your support buddy. I hope you two are having a great week!
      -Bryan

6. Tawcan

Very cool questions and answers. Would be cool to receive $2 million for sure. Assuming this is after tax, I’d totally donate a million to a charity to help people in need.

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Tawcan. I really enjoyed your post today, by the way. My wife and I tithe to various charities, though not all to church. We usually give on an ongoing basis, but I think it’s super cool you’d give half of it upfront. Hold on a second…..are you one of those billionaires who signed Buffett/Gate’s pledge? :)

I hope you’re having a great week!
      -Bryan

1. Income Surfer Post author

Hi Andrew. Yes it is, but as I’ve gotten to know you a little….I’m not surprised. I enjoyed the post about your vacation to Florida. Let me know the next time you’re down here and we can meet up.
      -Bryan

1. Income Surfer Post author

No problem Brian. I ended up spending 19 hours this weekend working on a home improvement project. Trying to complete something before a hurricane is no fun, but at least it’s done now. I think others will be interested in your journey, like I am.
      -Bryan