Closing Down….A Farewell

After nearly 4 years and countless hours of writing and research, it’s time to shut down Income Surfer. This is not without some sadness, and a lot of disappointment. I’ve made some great friends and had some very good times over the last four years, but everything has a season. Fortunately, I’m optimistic that we will be able to maintain many of the friendships created.

This site wholly meet our primary objective of helping me build relationships with like minded investors, but I completely misjudged that our current life would not resonate with readers. Perhaps it was arrogance, perhaps hubris, whatever the case……viewership/readership has declined for the last few years. While page views and email subscribers grew at a phenomenal rate throughout 2014 and 2015, they peaked when I left my traditional job and began our 6 months of travel. Within a couple weeks, while we were still on our initial trip mind you, they began to decline. They went nowhere but down from there. I know many initial readers were straight dividend investors, who could relate to us because of the dividend companies in our portfolio at the time….and the fact that we worked traditional jobs. To us, those companies represented good values at the time we purchased them…..and were overpriced when we sold them in the summer of 2016 (around the time of Brexit). Dividend paying companies were only one of the ways we were chasing our version of FI, not our sole focus. I really expected that our stories of travel, side projects, and life would have brought in more readers and relationships once we reached our version of FI in 2016. Boy, was I ever wrong. I don’t know the reasons honestly, because we’ve been living just about our dream life for the past two years. Maybe we’re just a little more weird than I realized.

Whatever the reason, we’ll keep enjoying life and looking for fun/exciting projects and opportunities. Not ones to just sit around, my engineering/development side hustle is growing quite nicely. There have been several nice trips, and plenty more to come. Thank you for all the comments, support, and most of all your time….over the past 4 years. We hope the rest of your 2017 finishes up well, and that 2018 is a great year for you and your families. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

31 thoughts on “Closing Down….A Farewell

1. Carl

Sorry to see you go friend. One end is another beginning.

I’m glad that we know each other aside from the blog so that I may continue to hear about your adventures.

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks buddy. Oh you’ll hear about them, hell you should be part of more of them in the coming years. lol. Plus, I figure I’ll take you up on the guest post offer every now and then….and write a bit for your site a couple times per year.
      -Bryan

2. MG

Always enjoyed your posts, especially the “identify the photo” diversions. Interesting engineering perspectives as well. Good luck and all the best in your new adventures. Maybe you can do a guest post somewhere sometime bringing us up to date on the latest.

Cheers,
    MG

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for the support David. I am more than a little bummed myself. Tampa Bay is a pretty great area, and I’m glad it’s our base of operations. Life is good
      -Bryan

3. Brian M Feroldi

You gave it a hell of a run — 4 years is nothing to sneeze at.

Well done and best wishes for your future endeavours.

4. Roadmap2Retire

Sorry to hear that you have decided to shut down the site, Bryan. Definitely has been one of my fave reads in the investing community, but I am happy to have gotten to know you over the years.

As 1500 days, one end is another beginning. Looking forward to see what new projects you cook up :)

Best wishes
    R2R

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks R2R. I’m glad I met you as well. Well we can always email and stay in touch. Yeah, there will be projects. I’m sure of that. Have a Merry Christmas buddy and get ready. There is a good chance 2018 will be the year of the commodities.
      -Bryan

5. Dividend Diplomats

Sorry to see your run end Bryan and that you are feeling the way you are feeling as you start to turn the lights off. Despite this not being the ending you want, make sure you celebrate all the good that has come over the last four years. Best of luck in your next step and feel free to reach out if you ever find yourself in the Cleveland area.

Bert

1. Income Surfer Post author

I appreciate that Bert. I will, and I’ll try to celebrate the good times. I’ll look you up the next time I’m up your way. You do the same down here….and remember FinCon is in Orlando next year
      -Bryan

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for the support Mrs. PoP. I still enjoy writing, but I think there are better ways for me to spend my time…..especially since our story/journey doesn’t seem to resonate with as many readers as it used to. Hope to see you guys soon. Have a great week!
      -Bryan

6. Dividends Down Under

Hey Bryan,

Really sad to see you closing down the site because of how much experience and wise discussion you brought to our financial community.

Thank you for being one of the first ‘large’ bloggers to support us in our journey and helping us at various points.

Good luck with everything and I hope we can stay in contact somehow.

Mr & Mrs DDU

1. Income Surfer Post author

Thanks for the support guys. I just think it’s time. Glad you found value in our journey and my ideas. Wishing you three all the best, and let me know if you guys need help with anything. I’m always around for questions, and you know how to contact me. Have a great week
      -Bryan

7. Scott

I was wondering where your posts in my email were and I just sadly found out! I really enjoyed reading your posts!! I guess I will look for you at 1500 days.